To the editor,
For all the people who fell asleep in civics class.
1. There are 3,141 counties in the U.S. Trump won 3,084 of them. Clinton only 57.
2. There are 62 counties in New York State. Trump won 46 of them. Clinton won 16.
3. Clinton won the popular vote by approx. 1.5 million votes.
4. In the 5 counties that encompass NYC, (Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Richmond & Queens) Clinton received well over 2 million more votes than Trump. (Clinton only won 4 of these counties: Trump won Richmond. Therefore these 5 counties alone, more than accounted for Clinton winning the popular vote of the entire country.
5. These 5 counties comprise 319 sq. miles. The U.S. is comprised of 3,797,000 sq. miles.
6. When you have a country that encompasses almost 4 million sq. miles of territory, it would be ludicrous to even suggest that the vote of those who inhabit a mere 319 sq. miles should dictate the outcome of a national election. Large, densely populated Democrat cities (NYC, Chicago, LA, etc.) don’t and shouldn’t speak for the rest of the Country.
7. And this children is WHY you have an Electoral College. It’s a “safety net” so that everyone’s vote counts.
In Colorado we would call it the Front Range effect. The Front Range controls our state’s politics. Surely you don’t want that on the Nation level under the guise of “Make your vote count!” Vote no on proposition 113
South Fork, CO